Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Up, up, and away!

My mom bought me a gift certificate for an Airplane Demo Flight at Hillsboro Aviation. I used it today, and it was INCREDIBLE!!! Here are some photos from the trip:

This is my pilot explaining everything about the aircraft to me.

It took me a little while to find the seat belt and get my seat adjusted. The cockpit is ridiculously small, by the way.

Imagine my shock when he handed me the keys and told me to start the engine. Up to this point, I thought I was just going for a ride, not a lesson!

He gave me some quick instructions on how to use the rudder pedals and the brakes, then had me taxi up to the runway

All of a sudden, he started giving me more directions. I followed them and actually took off ... by myself ... in a real airplane!

This is us taxiing on the runway after landing. I was in control of the aircraft until we parked. I don't have any in-air pictures because I was flying the whole time. He gave me the controls to answer his cell phone and let me keep going because I was doing well. The one part I didn't do, though, was the landing. He took over so we'd stay safe because I have no idea how to land a plane.

Safely back on the ground, I talked the pilot into a photo before I left. It was an incredible flight that I'd love to do again, and again, and again. We were only in the air for 30 minutes, but this is something I've wanted to do my whole life!

Now it's only a matter of finding a job so I can afford pilot lessons.

1 comment:

Paul said...

That was an awesome post. I was excited just reading it.