Friday, August 24, 2007

So long!

I had to say goodbye to Suzie last night. She's my girlfriend's cat and it was time to send her off to New York. I set up a reservation with Delta Airlines and started getting everything ready. This involved a trip to the veterinarian to certify that she was in good health and to get her up-to-date on all the necessary vaccination. Veterinarians are expensive, by the way, I might be in the wrong line of work.

After that, I took her to the airport (keep in mind I'm compressing a week of work and worrying about paperwork and procedure into the words "after that.") and set her up withe Delta Air Logistics. We were early for her check in, so we sat on the hood of my car and watched airplanes take off and land for a bit. It was fun.

The niftiest things about Delta was the paperwork. I had to fill out the "No, I'm not a terrorist" form, the "No, my package is not a bomb" form, the "Yes, you may search my package to prove it's not a bomb" form, the "Yes, you can actually ship my package" form, and the air waybill. In graduate school, we studied international trade and talked about waybills, but I had never actually seen one. Last night, though, I actually got to fill one out!

I feel very accomplished, and the kitty is safely in New York playing in her new apartment. But my puppy is still here and I'm sure they're both very confused about why they no longer have a playmate.

No comments: