Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Writers of the Future

So I picked up a copy of the latest Writers of the Future anthology this weekend. I have to say, it's pretty good. I just started into it, but the idea of eight well-written science fiction/fantasy stories in one book is amazing! It has inspired me to actually finish one of my own and submit it. As we all know, though, my time is somewhat limited lately, and I don't want to start in on something only to find I have a lack of interest in it or no one will want to read it. Therefore, I've decided to let all who venture to this shadowy corner of the internet to take a vote. Just leave a comment with your choice of which story I should bring to fruition...

1) A Dream of Remembrance Lost

I've been working on it for quite some time. It's the story of a man whose brother died when he was younger, but who takes in a young boy later in life who bears a striking resemblance to his dead brother. The street kid gets to know the main character's daughter fairly well and eventually breaks the snobbish character she has and they become friends. She convinces her father to let her attend public school ... but then dies shortly thereafter in a tragic accident. The street kid tries to find her body, but instead finds an abandoned infant girl. The entire point of the story is reincarnation. Interested?
2) In the Shadow of the Sun
A man goes to war as a sniper but goes crazy. He comes home and battles with his sanity for some time and then rejoins society. Turns out, he was subjected to some military doomsday weapon. After he's back in the flow of things, the weapon is unleashed on the public. Since he'd already been exposed once, he's somewhat immune from the effects and works to rescue survivors and save those affected by the weapon. Interested?
3) untitled vampire story 1
About the birth of vampires ... kind of. A man dies and goes to what heaven really is. Decides he still needs to do something on Earth and rejects paradise by returning and tricking someone into giving up their own life. With a newfound knowledge of the workings of the universe and the comparable powers of god on earth, he strives to do something virtuous, only to realize that he can never return to heaven and when he dies he'll simply cease to exist. He is forced to sustain himself by slaying and consuming (not eating, more like inhaling) living souls ... which drives him to madness ... Interested?
4) untitled vampire story 2
Either story 1 is a prequel or this is a sequel ... visits the world later when the man from story 1 has been around for a few years and comes up against other vampires. There's no logical reason to think he was the first. He's also made a few of his own (more like zombies, but oh well). Battle of evil vs. evil but both really think they're good. Interested?
5) Suggest your own ...

I'll give it to the end of October before I start writing in earnest. Please let me know ASAP what you think I should do so I can get started just as soon. I'll even post snippets on here when I get going on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like option (story) 1.