Monday, September 11, 2006

Bouncing around inside my head ...

So this is the introduction to a story that's been bouncing around inside my head for the better part of 2 years now. I think it would be interesting to develop into a larger story, but I have absolutely no desire to explore this storyline at this point in my life. It's just a bit too dark for me, especially while I'm so busy with school.

Shattering glass. That was all he ever heard anymore. Once, it had been the proud ping of his bullets striking the metal backing behind the targets on the firing range. After that had been the satisfying thud of the enemy’s life leaving his body on the battlefield. Now it was the shattering of the glass fronts of picture frames on the mantle. Picture frames that held snapshots of the future; unfulfilled expectations of a life that should by all rights continue beyond the moment where he had shattered them. Firing again, there was no loud retort of the rifle. Another man fell in the woods a few hundred yards away and all the pictures on the mantle fell with him and shattered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very nice story starter babe. You rock! I think this would be a good start to a story. Once you are out of school and have a real job I would hope that you presue writing.